Re: gEDA-user: Fwd: Parts DB API: the story so far

Steve Meier wrote:

> The point of the rdb engine over flat files is avoid writting a lot of
> code to handle the flat files. Code that would be a lot of work and in
> the end would likely be a rdb engine (in my opnion). Why not just use an
> rdb to start with?

Another important point is that it opens the door to connecting other
tools intelligently.  The gEDA system can define certain tables.  The
user can define other tables for information of interest to them.  A
simple join consolidates the data into the view the user needs for
purchasing, manufacturing, or whatever.

-dave