Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

John Doty wrote:

> 2. The flat file is another place where one can inspect or intervene in
> the flow.

There is value in that, certainly.

> 3. The flat file is a simple interface between BOM management and the
> schematic->netlist->layout flow. Modular.

I suppose as an intermediate step, you could get the same effect with a
sch2sch attribute replacer.  It could look for the trigger attribute,
and insert/replace other attributes.

schematic + derived-attrs-file -> schematic temp file -> netlist

So the magic tool could look for binnumber=X, and clobber the
footprint=Y (and anything else) accordingly.

By using the current .sch file as the intermediate file format, all this
database and work flow theory can be tested.

-dave