Re: gEDA-user: Fwd: Parts DB API: the story so far

Stuart Brorson wrote:
>> Trying to make the database optional even after developing its use
>> sounds hard.  Is there opposition to a database?  No database ever would
>> be limiting...
>
> I've been watching this discussion for quite a while.  I don't want to
> derail it, since it's good to have an exchange of ideas.  However,
> since you asked, I'll chime in.
>
> I am completely, utterly, and deadly opposed to a database, except as
> an optional plug-in -- i.e. a separate facility which the remainder of
> gEDA can run without.

I agree gEDA should be able to run without a database.

> A database is a PITA to install, build,
> maintain, administer, upgrade, and use.

Um... well, not these days, for small ones anyway. It was easier for me
to get mySQL running that to get the gEDA suite running.  If your
statement about databases is true, what does that say about gEDA?

> The beauty of gEDA is that it is (barely) simple enough that rank
> amateurs can figure it out and produce boards.  It is also powerful
> enough that professionals can produce low to mid-level complexity
> boards.  Don't break that feature!

An important goal, and we really should be looking at making it even
easier.  Of course, any DA system has a tall learning curve, that's life.

> My strongly held opinion is that if somebody wants a database for use
> with gEDA, what they *really* want is an ERP system (e.g. Sugar or
> something like that).  In that case, they are in a different class of
> gEDA user than gEDA's target audience of students, educators, hobbiests,
> etc.

I strongly disagree.  My mySQL parts database is essential to my
personal sanity.  It's small, it was simple to get going.  There is a
middle ground between a student trying to complete his senior project
and a 50 person company.

Forcing a database into gEDA is probably a bad idea.  Providing hooks to
use one intelligently is an important option.  I also believe that
simply thinking through the issues involved in providing database hooks
will improve the underlying design of gEDA.

-dave