Re: gEDA-user: Fwd: Parts DB API: the story so far

Wow, I am in the 1%.

Fair enough, when geda couldn't provide capabilities for hierarchical
buses I went out and implemented my own version down to rewritting hudge
chunks of libgeda (I am calling my derivative/fork libakeda since Ales
was concerend about confussion). I also have a second project that I
have been working on which is based upon the mr1 erp suite (I have
included inventory management among other features).

http://www.garot.com/projects/mr1/default.asp

Though again I have significanty deviated from the base code.

My recent efforts in libakeda to switch the reading and writting of sch
and sym files from c code to scheme scripts is to allow supporting of
geda even as I (as I expect) deviate my file structures further from the
stock geda.

My own personal experience is that it is far far far easier to write an
sql query then it is to create data structures, input methods and search
routines from scratch.

Databases in my opinion are to complex data structures what c compilers
are to assembly language. They don't do anything you couldn't do on your
own they just make development faster.

What I find particularily amusing is that people who have set up, run
and use a cvs tool are "deadly" against rdb's and seem to think that it
takes profession IT administrators to use them.

>From a rational stand point DJ's and Stuart's Idea of a plug in support
of rdbs is probably a good idea.

Steve Meier