Re: gEDA-user: Fwd: Parts DB API: the story so far

> Because then we have to agree on an RDB and how to use it. Why not
> just use a text editor to start with?

We talked about databases at one of the freedog meetings.  I proposed
an API like this:

Connect to some backend.
Feed it attributes whose value you know.
Feed it a list of attributes whose value you want.
It returns a list of valid values for each of those attributes.

Example:

[send]
symbol=resistor
value=1000
footprint=0603
vendor?
manufacturer?

[result]
vendor=3
"digikey"
"mouser"
"jameco"
manufacturer=2
"rohm"
"panasonic"

As the user defines more attributes, further queries are made with
those, to get more options back.

This just begs for a plug-in, too.  CGIs, RDBs, flat files, etc.