Re: gEDA-user: Fwd: Parts DB API: the story so far

On Dec 20, 2007, at 1:06 PM, John Griessen wrote:

> Stuart Brorson wrote:
>> I am completely, utterly, and deadly opposed to a database, except as
>> an optional plug-in -- i.e. a separate facility which the
>> remainder of
>> gEDA can run without.  If gEDA requires a database for use, then we
>> lose 99% of all gEDA users.  A database is a PITA to install, build,
>> maintain, administer, upgrade, and use.  It is also a dependency
>> which
>> will make gEDA uninstallable by almost everybody.
>
> You have a point there...keeping it optional is probably how it
> will evolve then...
> Everything I've said at first is wrong.
>
> DJ's simplified query language for electronic parts could run on a
> remote server that is installed
> by someone who can stand adminning it.  But then, it would need to
> be editable like a wiki
> so new info could be added, or maybe that's what some of the
> suggestions about merging data are about.
>
> The model could be, those who can, create db servers of parts and
> update them as they see fit,
> for their interests, with no trashing caused by wiki editor
> hackers.  The simplified query language
> plus a list of server URLs let's a merge of data happen across some
> computer dirs on one machine,
> or across company machines, or across the Atlantic Ocean, etc.

I'm failing to visualize this. Right now, the source files for the
BOM are schematics and symbols. I have proposed adding another file
for attributes by part.

What are the makefile dependencies of a BOM in this database scheme?
In other words, what's the information flow?

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx