gEDA-user: Testing of GIT HEAD, new MIME icons etc...

Hi all,

I'm sending this to the user list in the hope of getting more eyeballs
on it.

We now have MIME icons for gEDA files (schematic, symbol and gsch2pcb
project), and these should (if gEDA is installed on the path) launch the
appropriate apps (gschem / xgsch2pcb) if they are installed.

See the MIME icons at:
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/icons/mime/

And (temporary) app icons:
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/icons/app/

Better yet, try it out!

git clone git://git.gpleda.org/gaf.git

You will need intltool as an additional build dependency.

I'd appreciate feedback on whether it works on your boxen, whether you
have to "out out" of the mime and desktop cache updates:

./configure --disable-update-desktop-database  <--(gschem and gattrib
install .desktop files)
./configure --disable-update-mime-database     <--(libgeda installs
mime-type definitions)

These configure flags _will_ be needed for building .deb and .RPM
packages.

The location of icon / mime installation is controlled with the
--with-xdgdir=... configure argument. It defaults to $(DATAROOTDIR),
which would usually be ${PREFIX}/share.

For KDE < 4.0, we install a .desktop version of the mime registration.
The location can be controlled with the --with-kdedir=... configure
argument. It defaults to ${PREFIX}.

For home directory installs, you will need:

--with-xdgdir=/home/<USERID>/.local/share
--with-kdedir=/home/<USERID>/.kde

The toplevel master Makefile passes these as default options now,
although you might have to poke the build system a bit to ensure it gets
to the subordinate ./configure invocations. make reconfig / make config
might help.

You will get menu entries from the .desktop files. These won't actually
work unless you can install gEDA in a location where it will be found
from the desktop-session's path. (PREFIX=/usr/local/ is probably the
easiest way to achieve that, in which case the --with-xdgdir and
--with-kdedir should be left out or pointed at /usr/local/share
and /usr/local respectively.).

Please send feedback. Especially package maintainers who this might
affect.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,