Re: gEDA-user: Fwd: Parts DB API: the story so far

one word,  SQLite

I know a few OSX based applications that use SQLite as a back end that
users never have to even know about, (Aperture)  it just does its own
thing.

what a data base gets you is speed of access to information and a way
to relate different type of information.

as for which database to use....  think of this as a DBI type issue.
as long as we write the interface with the ability to plug in
different database formats,  yes even including a backend that goes
through flat files  we won't have to worry about the user base that
could care less about the DB backend.  Now as a corporate user that is
working on expanding the usage of this fine package in the business  a
database backend that ran on oracle would be great.  we have some nice
large oracle servers.  my choice for home would be mySQL

and it looks like Stuart would want none of the data base solutions,
sorry to inform you,  we have a flat file database that is in woeful
disrepair and poor relational construction.  AN we loose potential
users to this fact,  as many say that they don't choose up because of
our library.

With myself coming from a large company, I know that you don't use
built in libraries but have an employee that is responsible for adding
a part you want to your part library  and including all the heavy
information into the multiple databases that are managed for
production.

Steve