Re: gEDA-user: A few minor gschem improvements

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 11:34 -0800, Yamazaki R2 wrote:
> I have a few minor request/improvement suggestions for gschem.
>    1. When rotating a symbol, it would be nice if it's attributes rotated
>    along with it. For example if my default resister is vertical with
>    attribute text reading left to right horizontal and I place it and
>    rotate it to be horizontal, the attributes also rotate making the text
>    reading bottom to top, so I have to rotate the attributes to read from
>    left to right again.

Not simple in the general case, as you might end up with attributes
overlapping things.

>    2. In the color scheme, it would be nice to have a separate category
>    for instance name (refdes) and value. That way I can have my other
>    attributes (such as W, L, or whatever) a separate color than the
>    device and instance name.

You can edit the colour of individual attributes if you want. Select the
attribute, then go to "Edit->Color" or "Edit->Edit text..."

The down side is that you'll have to edit your colour scheme to add
custom colour classes. If you don't, you'll just end up abusing other
colour classes, such as "Net" or "Net endpoint" to get your attributes
the colour those objects happen to be in the colour scheme.

>    3. When zooming out, at the point where the text becomes unreadable,
>    could the text just be replaced with a line?

Its an option somewhere I think, but why do you care... unreadable
text / line.. what is the difference? (On the Cario branch text just
gets really small, then fades out, however you can still see the
typographic layout way after it becomes hard to read.).

The non-cairo version has this concession to rendering speed:

; text-feedback string
;
; Controls if text is drawn when doing an xor action (like copy/move)
; Comment out if you want the default mode.
; Not in production yet.
;
(text-feedback "only-when-readable")
;(text-feedback "always")

; text-display-zoomfactor number
;
; Sets the zoomfactor number (~150 being the most zoomed out factor)
; (zoom factors get smaller as you zoom in) at which text is displayed
; completely (not a line).  This is only valid if above is set to
; "only-when-readable"
;
(text-display-zoomfactor 30)

>    4. Would also be nice if the user could create a custom symbol for
>    pins instead of just the line. I'm not talking about the input/output
>    connector symbols, I'm talking about the integrated pin object in
>    gschem (keybinding ap).

Some packages have the active part of a pin as a separate primitive, and
the body of the pin as just a graphical line.

gEDA doesn't, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Its an idea
we can bear in mind for the future, but by defining a pin graphic, it
does at least help to create visual consistency for what can / can't be
connected to.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,