Re: gEDA-user: Press release: gEDA Project and Linux Fund partner to boost gEDA/PCB usability

Hi --

>> The project statement of work is available from the "doc" section of the
>> gEDA wiki here:
>
> The two goals I added during the discussion phase did mot make it into
> the detailed list of tasks:
> * "exact CAD-like user input" and
> * "Properties editor"
> I hope, they won't be forgotten , anyway.

Hmmmmmm.....  Did you add them to the wiki, or just talk about them
via e-mail?   Remember, talk is cheap.  ;-)

Anyway, the vision behind the funding is not to "complete" the
development of PCB.  Rather, the desire is to make certain critical
improvements which can serve as a foundation for others to build
upon.  Certain of the work items involve building critical pieces of
infrastructure which will make it easier for others to add new
features.  In this light, the funding should be viewed as a catylist
to spur further development of the program, including adding features
like those you list above.

The danger with funding is that it might discourage the pool of talent
willing to work on PCB for the pure joy of hacking (i.e. without
payment).  Others might say "Hey -- why aren't I getting paid?", and
then stop working on PCB.  We *don't* want this to happen!

The point is that some of the work items are so large and hairy that
*nobody* was willing to step up and do them.  Specifically, there are
a number of internal improvements (new datastructures & clean up of
old ones, etc.)  which must be made in the course of this work.  This
was blocking forward motion on PCB's development, which in turn was
limiting gEDA's uptake in the "open hardware" community.  The Linux
Fund is very interested in seeding work amongst the open hardware
folks, which is why they contacted us.  Giving gEDA/PCB an extra push
by funding this project was a logical way to help everybody, and we
are very happy that this opportunity came along.

Therefore, even though your favorite ideas did not make it into the
SOW, once DJ has done his magic the way should be clear for many new
features to be incorporated into PCB.  And remember, the best way to
get your new feature incorporated into PCB is to submit patches
implementing it [1]!    ;-)

Cheers,

Stuart

[1]   And the second best way to do it is to pay a developer to create
the patches.   ;-)