Re: gEDA-user: modify footprint and update layout

> I could go a step further or two. Same number of pins? same number
> of pads. same pin and pad pin numbers?

Each thing that must match is one more thing that you can't change and
still update the footprint.

> A key point is that you have to have the old land pattern.

I wouldn't rely on that.

> I think we should presume that the two patterns have the same pin
> numbering scheme.

I often fiddle with the thermal pads on footprints, replacing one big
pad with many smaller ones.

Getting these rules right is most of the work in this type of project.