gEDA-user: gsch2pcb Process switches

Folks -
   I need a hint on settings.  Here is the scenario:

1) I have a heirarchical schematic developed - level one linking seven
sheets on level two. Each page on level two has a reference designator
of "SAn" (ie: SA1, SA2, ...etc)

2) I have a PWB developed for the design. Currently each part on the PWB
has a silk screen designator with a prefix of "SAn" - ie: SA1/R14. Many
of these are way to long for the available space. This pwb is not in a
completed state.

3) I am making a major revision to four pages on the design and I would
like to remove the "SAn" prefixes.

4) I have verified that there are NO duplicate reference designators and
no duplicate net names.

5) I went into both my local and system gnetlistrc files and changed
hierarchy-uref-mangle
hierarchy-netname-mangle
and hierarchy-netattrib-mangle to "disabled" (uncommented / commented)

6) When I execute a gnetlist I get the correct, non-prefixed part
numbers.

7) I manually edited A COPY of my pwb to remove the prefixes so that the
process of gsch2pcb SHOULD see R112 instead of SA4/R112, and (I thought)
everything should play nice..

8) What happened: All components got ripped off the board and the new
parts file was populated with the parts with prefix-appended part
numbers (SA4/R112).

My Question: Is there a setting I am missing to NOT use the prepended
sheet refdes's in the gsch2pcb process?

My fallback is to ignore the designators untill I gloss the board, but
it would be convenient now.  Any ideas?

Thanks, Folks!!

Cheers....  T.