gEDA-user: Font sizes messed up in gschem on Mac OS X 10.6

Hello geda-users and -experts!

I tried to install the geda software (release 1.6.0) on my Apple Computer (Mac OS X 10.6.2).
As a prerequisite, I downloaded and installed the following packages (compiled from source tarballs).

tiff-3.8.2
jpegsr.v7
libpng1241
pkg-config-0.23
gd-2.0.35
glib-2.22.3
atk-1.29.3
fontconfig-2.8.0
freetype-2.3.11
pixman-0.17.2
cairo-1.8.8
pango-1.26.2
gtk+-2.18.5
gmp-4.3.1
guile-1.8.7

(Took me long to find out what's needed, list is probably incomplete from memory)

The program starts and opens up as expected (together with the icon of Apple's X11 implementation), but the fonts on screen are completely oversized. This makes the software hardly usable, the letters of the label in the lower right corner that says "title: file: drawn by: revision:" and so on cover almost the whole screen and are pushed into each other. If I zoom in, they become smaller, but proportions are still wrong.
I looked into the manual, but found nothing. There's only one setting in a system-wide configuration file (/usr/share/gEDA/gschem-gtkrc) which can influence the font that is used for the menus drawn by gtk, but not for the text inside a drawing.
Then I looked into the source (it took me hours - I'm no programmer, just curious). In the file libgeda/src/o_text_basic.c I found a hard-coded number that is used to adjust a font size internally:
---------------snippet-------------
 *  The following factor was impirically determined to approximately match the
 *  cap-height between the legacy gschem font, and fonts rendered using pango.
 */
#define GEDA_FONT_FACTOR 1.3
------------end of snippet---------

I tried to set that factor to 0.08, recompiled the software and the problem looked better, the font isn't oversized any more, but proportions still are strange especially if I zoom in and out.
Could someone give me a hint how to do a bit more of research? Some days ago, I installed "pcb", played with it and considered as a worthy program.

I'd be glad if a solution could be found - then the time I've spent with this twiddling isn't lost!

Best regards,

Christian

P.S. Printing on a postscript printer seems to be ok.