Re: gEDA-user: Font sizes messed up in gschem on Mac OS X 10.6

> Did you build this as an X11 build of GTK, or a native MacOSX build? (I
> presume from the fact you get an X11 icon, that it is the X11 build).

I tried both versions. I was able to choose the behaviour by compiling gtk+
with different configure options - either --enable-gdktarget=quartz or
--enable-gdtarget=x11.
But the problem with the mis-sized fonts appeared in both cases.
Later, I experimented only with the x11-version, think it is more likely to
be successful as it is somehow closer to normal linux distributions.

> I wonder about installing some of these requisites via something like
> fink, or macports. They might patch the code, or build with particular
> options.

I can try that too, but I thought that compilation "by hand" would be also
a safe way. At least there are sometimes more recent packages available.

> I initially thought that something "might" be mis-reporting the DPI of
> your screen, but then realised that since the fonts are not properly
> scaling with the objects on the page, that is not likely to be the
> issue.
>
> I'd consider cairo as the most likely suspect, but it could be pango, or
> gEDA its self causing issues.

The problem is that I'm really new to gschem and don't know how the proper
behaviour of text and fonts should be. All I have is a postscript printout of
some test drawing (which looks really nice) and the screen view (which looks
completely wrong with the original source code and "a bit wrong" with my quick-
and-dirty-quick patch of setting the GEDA_FONT_FACTOR from 1.3 to 0.08.
I have a linux partition on my hard disk too. I'll try to install geda/gschem
there too, for having a reference.
Maybe it would be possible to print out the reported DPI value as a debug output?
One could compare linux and mac version then.

I'll keep trying a few things out, but any hints are still appreciated.
I'm not very experienced with software development, and always need a lot of
time for small steps.

Regards,

Christian