gEDA-user: Beginner Confusion

I have never used printed circuit board software before.
   http://www.gpleda.org/sources.html
claims that the development version is 1.5.4
and that the stable version is 1.6.0
Shouldn't the development version be a 1.7.x type of number based on a
stable 1.6?
I did download the 1.5.4 version and successfully built it but do not
seem to have the m4 element libraries so that I don't have resistor
footprints for instance. I've discovered this in working through Bill
Wilson's tutorial page
   gEDA/docs/wiki/geda_gsch2pcb_tutorial.html

I hope eventually to contribute software fixes to the project, but for
now am still stumbling around. Should I go ahead and get a cvs image or
is that too ambitious?

I'm thinking I should redo what I've done so far but with the 1.6
version, but I may be mistaken so am looking for some decent feedback.
Is getting a cvs image a more bulletproof method?

TimGolden BSEE AB1AH PolySign http://www.BandTechnology.com 1261845647s