Re: gEDA-user: Random thoughts on the future interface of PCB

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As I see it, PCB priorities (for me at least) are approximately:
>
> Release?
> Merge 2D parts of PCB+GL drawing
> Release?
> Merge 3D parts of PCB+GL drawing
> GUI to control PCB+GL rendering styles
> Release?

Before that first release on your list I'd love to see the health of
the code improved.  This week I've finished my latest board (25 sq.
inches, 2 layer lots of complex polygon based partial power planes).
The biggest problems I had were:
* Lots of segfaults.
   Usual triggers:
   1. "Find" on a complex net
   2. Manipulation of complex polygons, including use of MorphPolygon()
* Strange GTK HID UI bug - when drawing new traces the helpful outline
that appears whilst moving the mouse disappears.  This leaves you in
the dark, guessing where the trace will appear in 45\_ or 45_/ mode is
hard.  Only comes up after a few minutes of editing a complex board.
Work-around is to restart PCB (painful as I lose window layout, layer
visibility and command history).
* lots of memory leaks - wasn't actually a problem with 4GB RAM, but I
could see the address space steadily disappearing during long runs of
my high effort autorouter hack. Memory leaks generally aren't show
stoppers, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable about starting to code
new features if the existing code was first clean and stable.  FWIW a
quick run of dmalloc showed the following specific leaks, plus plenty
of anonymous ones.
hid/common/actions.c:269'
hid/common/actions.c:46'
hid/common/flags.c:41'