Re: gEDA-user: Random thoughts on the future interface of PCB

> Agreed, and I had a similar experience. I was hoping to get a review or just
> some comments on a couple of patches I submitted (3114991, 3117075). Now I
> can understand that it was probably in an off beat area and not the topic du
> jour, so I went ahead and posted it to the patches tracker. No comments
> there either, and I went to some effort to comment my code well, tried to
> match the formatting as best I could, and even commented the hunks in the
> patch set.

From looking at your patch I can see that you've put in some
substantial work there, and can understand your disappointment.

> I also contacted Stuart Brorson directly and while he said he would look at
> the patches he also said:
>
>> "As you might imagine, I'm busy with a number of other projects, so I
>> haven't had much time to devote to gEDA for a long time."
>
> I think a lot of would be contributors are inspired to make improvements but
> get stymied when their first offering falls on deaf ears.

As a PCB developer I'm acutely aware that developer time is in very
short supply - the lead developers are very busy guys who squeeze in
time for PCB as best they can.  I know almost nothing about the
development of gschem, but my perception is that gschem developer time
is even more scarce - I'd guess there are 20 emails on this list about
PCB for every email about gschem.

> I know there has
> to be a balance here, but I feel that there should always be someone in the
> dev group that can take the time to respond and give some constructive
> feedback.

I feel the same way - but I recognise that there currently isn't
enough gschem developer time for this to be the case.
I'm sorry I can't help more, but I do suggest is that you stay on the
list - when the developers do come back raise the issue again.
Oh, and of course gEDA is free software - if the developers disappear
into a black hole you can always start your own branch and become your
own maintainer.  Public GIT repositories like
repo.or.cz make it very easy to host a project.  I made my own branch
of PCB there a few weeks ago when I wanted to indulge in some source
code butchery that the PCB lead developers wouldn't want to touch with
a barge pole :)  Setting the whole thing up took less than a day.