Re: gEDA-user: Text in PCB elements

kai-martin knaak wrote:
John Coppens wrote:

Suggestions? Or maybe an estimate on how difficult it'd be for an
average programmer to add?

If the text in footprints should behave like any other text, I'd say pretty hard. You'd have to adapt many places where footprints
get rendered.
If the font is the 'monoline' type generally used in pcb, the redition can be
taken from there and is sort of a 10-liner in OpenGL anyway.
 I addition, the footprint file format would have to
be expanded accordingly. And the format change would have to be
accepted by the devs.
sure
The GUI might look up letters as footprints in the library and arrange them to yield
human readable text.
This sounds like recursive call of footprints to me - what is the advantage to
proper text rendering by the routines that do it for silk refdes? It has the
same implications to footprint file format as any other rendering method.