Re: gEDA-user: Text in PCB elements

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:07:58 -0800
Colin D Bennett <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Unfortunately this may not work well for footprints since I have found
> the best results from pstoedit to be achieved using the pcbfill
> output driver, which uses only polygons to render text, and PCB does
> not support polygons in footprints, even on the silk layer, apparently.

I was looking at the source code, and I have the impression that
polygons are possible in footprints, though only rectangular ones.

I'm somewhat confused about the workings of PCB in this aspect - I
suspect this has something to do with the complexity of rotation etc.
Probably someone is needed to code complex polygon rotations...

John