Re: gEDA-user: How to make a foot print

blueeagle2@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> I really like the gSchema program and after getting used to it, I find it
> better than most I have tried.  But the PCB program has a lot to be
> desired.  I could probably do it if all I needed was through hole, but I
> need some custom parts.  I could use KCAD I guess, but I would really like
> to get to know gEDA as well.
>
> I was wondering if someone could give me a good step by step on how to make
> a foot print.  I read the documents that are out there, but I am still not
> quite clear how to do this.  I was able to do it graphically though I could
> not figure out how to move the positioning diamond no matter what I did.

I think, the position of the diamond is defined by the cursor position
when you cut the draw objects into the buffer to convert them to an
element.

Select the objects, move the cursor to the place you where you want the
diamond, and type Ctrl-C or Ctrl-X.  Then Buffer->Convert Buffer to Element.

> I would really like to understand how to do it by modifying the text
> files, but I don't really understand what the document I read is
> really doing.  One thing that confuses me is why they are using
> negative coordinates.  I thought it started at 0,0 at the upper left
> corner which does not make any sense to me if they are using negative
> coordinates that I saw in some of the examples.  The graphics editor
> though definitely needs some work.  I tried moving a component and it
> moved the component all right, but it did not move the circuit lines
> and just left them hanging in the air.  Any help would be appreciated.
>

>   Z.K.

Stephan BÃttcher                     FAX: +49-431-85660
Extraterrestrische Physik            Tel: +49-431-880-2508
I.f.Exp.u.Angew.Physik               mailto:boettcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Leibnizstr. 11, 24118 Kiel, Germany