gEDA-user: How to make a foot print

   I really like the gSchema program and after getting used to it, I find
   it better than most I have tried.  But the PCB program has a lot to be
   desired.  I could probably do it if all I needed was through hole, but
   I need some custom parts.  I could use KCAD I guess, but I would really
   like to get to know gEDA as well.
   I was wondering if someone could give me a good step by step on how to
   make a foot print.  I read the documents that are out there, but I am
   still not quite clear how to do this.  I was able to do it graphically
   though I could not figure out how to move the positioning diamond no
   matter what I did.  I would really like to understand how to do it by
   modifying the text files, but I don't really understand what the
   document I read is really doing.  One thing that confuses me is why
   they are using negative coordinates.  I thought it started at 0,0 at
   the upper left corner which does not make any sense to me if they are
   using negative coordinates that I saw in some of the examples.  The
   graphics editor though definitely needs some work.  I tried moving a
   component and it moved the component all right, but it did not move the
   circuit lines and just left them hanging in the air.  Any help would be
   appreciated.
     Z.K.