Re: gEDA-user: How to make a foot print

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:34:31 -0800
blueeagle2@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I really like the gSchema program and after getting used to it, I
> find it better than most I have tried.  But the PCB program has a lot
> to be desired.  I could probably do it if all I needed was through
> hole, but I need some custom parts.  I could use KCAD I guess, but I
> would really like to get to know gEDA as well.
>
> I was wondering if someone could give me a good step by step on how
> to make a foot print.  I read the documents that are out there, but I
> am still not quite clear how to do this.

You are not alone.  Making footprints in pcb takes a lot of practice,
for me a least.  I have made many footprints in pcb over the past
couple of years and still I have to refer to guidelines, if I haven't
made a footprint for some time and have gotten rusty.

I have found that, for making footprints graphically in pcb,
<http://ronja.twibright.com/guidelines/footprints.php> is a very good
checklist to follow the first few times and possibly refer to it later
as well.

Regards,
Colin