Re: gEDA-user: Hierarchy Refdes and Component Values

Rick Collins wrote:

>  With the hierarchical ref des it tells you which
> instance.  With component renumbering you have to search to find the
> right sheet... the same as non-hierarchical schematics.

If the refdes of a resistor in the layout reads "3R12" I know
it is on page 3 of my schematics printout.

> There is more than one way to view instantiation.  You don't have to
> "see" it as the exact same, single sheet.  If you do, there is no
> way to have your documentation in step with the actual board
> produced...

It sure is in step. The hierarchy of schematic is just not flattened
out.

> The way you are viewing subsheets, they are macros and
> the schematic is a programming language.

In a way, this is always the case, even with a flat schematic.
Symbols get mapped to footprints according to some rules.
E.g, symbols with the same refdes are all part of the same
component.

> A schematic is intended to
> be documentation and each page has to show the ref des that appears
> on the final product.

Whether or not this is desirable depends on the work-flow
and on the project. Remember the 69 instants of a sub circuit
I mentioned? This is a real world example. It would not help
in any way, if I had this sub circuit printed 69 times.

> The only fly in the ointment is back annotation.

ack.

I got the impression that refdes renaming due to hierarchical
design is the road block that prevents back annotation in
geda/pcb.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak