Re: gEDA-user: Resistor valuesâ

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> Here's what I do:
> Draw a resistor somewhere (Add component â Basic devices â
resistor-2.sym).

Oh my, a symbol without a value attribute!
I forgot, just how light the default library symbols are.
Can anyone point me to a reason? Why do we distribute the
default library in such a crippled state? Yes, a default
library can only be a starting point and cannot fit
everybody's needs. But does the starting point really
have to be so poor that it fits virtually nobody's needs?

> Right click the resistor and select âEditââ.
> Add attribute â Name: â Select âvalueâ.
> Value: â Enter â390kââ.
> Click âAddâ.
> â Visible â Select âShow value onlyâ.
> Click âCloseâ.

If you want to fit the value inside the box of the
resistor, the best way would be to change the alignment
of the text from bottom-left to middle-left:

1) select the text:
     click on the symbol --> The whole symbol gets highlighted
     then click on the text --> only the text is highlighted

2) type [ex] --> edit-text-properties dialog appears
   click on the chooser right of "Alignment"
   choose "Middle Left"
   click "ok"

3) type [m] --> the text is attached to the mouse cursor
   move the mouse so that the text is at the desired position
   left mouse click --> the text detaches from the mouse cursor

You may take a look at the symbols in http://gedasymbols.org
Many of them are "heavy", meaning, they come with value and
footprint attribute included.

<shameless-plug>
My collection is here:
   http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/kai_martin_knaak/
The symbols are consistent with my footprints.
</shameless-plug>

gedasymbols.org allows anonymous CVS access. You can download
all symbols of the site to your hard disk if you wish.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Ãffentlicher PGP-SchlÃssel: