Re: gEDA-user: Resistor values…

On Dec 25, 2010, at 1:50 AM, Vanessa Ezekowitz wrote:

> Resistors are just one of many component types out there have a value, no matter what type of package they come in

Resistors often don't come in packages. I use resistors in VLSI design, and textbook symbolic abstractions of resistors also have no packages. Then there's simulation, where it is usually unnecessary to simulate the package even if it will exist someday. gschem/gnetlist are excellent tools for schematic capture for VLSI, symbolic analysis, and simulation.

> - with rare exceptions, every single one of them you pick up will have numbers or color bands indicating that value, we all know that.  That value might be zero ohms, but it is still a *value*.

By convention, in symbolic analysis of circuits, the value is the same as the refdes. So no value attribute is needed.

> The same goes for every last capacitor, inductor, etc., though I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any that have a value of zero.

Maybe you're hard-pressed here, but I am not. I often set values to zero when analyzing or simulating circuits. Limiting cases, y'know. Sometimes I even use negative numbers.

If you only use gschem/gnetlist to feed pcb, you will have a severely limited perception of their true capabilities, and the genius behind their design.

It would be great if pcb users would pool their resources and create a library specifically for a common pcb flow. But it will never happen. Even in that small corner of the vast gEDA universe there are still widely divergent notions of flow and style. So almost everybody will continue to fight the toolkit and complain.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx