Re: gEDA-user: Working on a tiny schematics editor

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 19:31 +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> Some weeks ago I started working on a very basic schematics editor,
> compatible with current gschem file format. I am writing it in Ruby,
> using GTK/Cairo.

No, the project is not death...
I just managed to draw to a GTK drawing area, with
zooming/panning/scrolling support. So very friendly people may already
consider it a viewer for gschem schematics :-)
See bottom of this page:

http://www.ssalewski.de/PetEd-Demo.html.en

I think one reason for start writing it was my desire to assign
attributes/classes to subnets, to transfer this information to PCB to
support manually- and auto-routing with already specified parameters for
traces.

I think, even if Anthonys Toporouter is in deep coma currently, such an
application makes still some sense. So I can not promise that I will NOT
continue this effort.

I would be interested how many people can run the demo script (peted.rb)
from the top of the  above page. Are the needed rcairo bindings shipped
with distributions like Ubuntu? If not, then it may be easier for people
to install the whole gEDA package than to get such a short ruby script
running. :-(

Best wishes for the new year,

Stefan Salewski