Re: gEDA-user: Working on a tiny schematics editor

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Andrzej <ndrwrdck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Some weeks ago I started working on a very basic schematics editor,
>> compatible with current gschem file format. I am writing it in Ruby,
>> using GTK/Cairo.
>
> I while ago I started my own schematics editor - pschem:

Stefan,

I've added a screenshot displaying the same schematic as one in your example:

http://code.google.com/p/pschem/wiki/Screenshots

It was taken on Windows but Linux version is just as functional.

As you can see the gEDA import filter is still far from perfect. Many
gschem constructs an still unsupported (I've been using it mostly for
getting the design into Pschem so I can debug other functions). It's
probably more interesting to look at capabilities of the underlying
framework.

Some key features:

- Pschem is built on top of a design database (think of it being a
database editor rather than a vector graphics tool). Contrary to many
commercial packages the database format is to be as open and as human
readable as possible (probably xml, albeit the backend is not yet
implemented),
- Scriptable with access to a design database API (and essentially all
other functions too, as at least for now Pschem is fully implemented
in Python),
- Supports design hierarchy,
- (Planned) support for parametrized cells and attributes,
- Uses a canvas based MVC framework (from Qt) for efficient rendering.
- Potential for extending to a PCB/layout tool (not planned for now).

Andrzej