Re: gEDA-user: Resistor valuesâ

John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> A better netlister for simulation is difficult as long as the gnetlist
> front end has hard-coded semantics, especially for hierarchy and
> slotting.

Last year (June 2009) LWN published a very nice series by Neil Brown
about successful design pattern in the Linux kernel.  A lot of that is
applicable to any sizeable project.

One pattern is to define (midlayer) interfaces like the gnetlist backend
interface in terms of library functions.

 http://lwn.net/Articles/336262/

To fix gnetlist, the hardcoded semantics shall not be pushed to the
backend, but offered as a library function, to be pulled in by the
backend.  The infrastructure provided by the library shall offer various
levels to access the netlist data.  The toplevel shall provide the
current hardcoded semantics to the existing backends, but future backends
may choose to use replace the top level call by copies where some
critical second level calls are replaced. Such copies, when universally
usefull, can be moved from the backend to the library at some point.

Somebody who (unlike me) actually knows how that interface looks like
right now, may comment on how much actually needs to change.  I can
imagine that it's not a lot, since this is really a classical case for
said design pattern.

--
Stephan