Re: gEDA-user: Resistor valuesâ

On Saturday 25 December 2010, Vanessa Ezekowitz wrote:
> * If the part in question can usually be described by a
> single value, for the purposes of the signal flow in the
> schematic that is, then give it a default of "value=0".

No.  Zero is almost always wrong.  The only sensible default
value in this case is a copy of the reference designator.  If
the reference designator is "R1", the default value should be
"R1".

Justification ...  For simulation, all modern simulators, and
some not-so-modern simulators have a means of assigning values
to parameters.

In a spice format, you could say:
.param R1=10k
or something like that.
Some let you use parameters in other ways, making it even more
useful.

> * If it is a discrete part that is specified entirely by its
> part number rather than a measurement, like a diode or a
> transistor, then pick a reasonable default; "value=1N914" or
> "value=2N2222".

As I recall, those are specific devices that were popular 40
years ago.  Not sure how relevant they are today.  Unless you
link to something, they are just arbitrary strings, no better
than any other.

The best default would be something that is more universally
meaningful, and not specificm like "D" or "diode" for a diode,
or "NPN" for an NPN transistor.

For a simulator that reads spice format, you could then say:
.model D D
.model NPN NPN
to make the names meaningful.  It might be useful to make an
"include" file to define these things.

> * If the part is something like a logic IC, use the standard
> name of the part in the fastest commonly available series
> for that particular gate; "value=74F74" or "value=74HCT245".

Same as diodes.  Names like 74F74 have no meaning, unless you
look it up, and are completely wrong most of the time.