gEDA-user: repairing symbols

[ Ales here, I'm reposting this since majordomo didn't recognize the
  e-mail as being subscribed to the geda-dev mailinglist. ]

[ Hi Werner,

  Yeah some of the symbols are just plain broken or are not consistent
  with the rest.  I think we should concentrate on getting symbols correct
  and if necessary recreate them from scratch.  If changing the size
  and location of pins is necessary, well, yes that will break existing
  schematics, but the older symbol is always available (in the previous
  tarballs, so it's easy to get that symbol, create a local gschemrc or
  gnetlistrc, and use the old symbol to get old schematics to work right).
  A compromise to this is your #2 point, create an Attic for these old
  symbols as they are replaced by new, correct, and consistent symbols.

  When I slowly migrate over to the "graphical info one place and other
  info (pins/slots/physical) in another place" scheme, a vast number
  of these symbols will be changing (as I will be ripping out device
  specific info and putting it elsewhere).  But don't hold your breath
  too long for this, as I have quite a few changes to make before this
  is possible (btw, the existing way of handling symbols will *ALWAYS*
  work, as it is sometimes faster to put everything into one place).

  To help with this cleanup, I have create a new online symbol library
  which will allow for 1) people to easily upload symbols and 2) track
  which symbols are correct or wrong.   An alpha of this online library
  is located here:

	http://geda.seul.org/library/

  (careful, some of the libraries are big and I don't yet set the image
  size yet)

  I have disabled the upload / submit buttons for now as they are not
  functional.  These webpages still needs work, so don't get too excited.
  :)  Magnus had quite a bit of input on the creation of this library.

  In order to really get the symbols consistent and correct, I think I
  am going to have to write up a rather draconian spec on the graphical
  and attribute qualities of symbols.  The current symbol guide is out
  of date and just doesn't cut it.  :-(

								-Ales
]

-- Cut here --

I took a look at the existing symbols and I think some of them
should be repaired.

The question is wheter the symbols can be repaired or should be
recreated.

I think if we repair the symbols, the pins must keep its place if we
don't want destroy existing schematics.

But can we add missing pinlabels and types, change colors, add
footprints and other missing attributes ...?

1. Does anyone think we should concentrate on repairing symbols
or is it better to recreate them.

2. Is it possible to move broken symbols to an attic, where existing
schematics can get them, but the symbols should not be used in
new schematics?

best regards
werner