Re: gEDA-user: Tools for timing diagrams for digital signals

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 12:05, Egil Kvaleberg wrote:
> In terms of doing documentation and analysis of digital signals, would
> any of the gEDA tools be suitable? Perhaps GTKWave?

In order to stay somewhat compatible to cadence, I write vcd files by
hand and view/print them in GTKWave. So far I have had only good
experience with only one problem: To have the timing intervall
annotations (time scale) to fit round timings. A good thing about this
method is that I can use the vcd's as input for testbenches.

> What I am thinking here is in terms of initial design amd documentation
> of timing and waveforms, not viewing results of simulations. Automated
> check of timing constraints is fine, but even a tool that helps in
> documenting and visualizing certainly helps.

You can try out http://www.timinganalyzer.net/ which is a java
implementation of a timing analyzer which doesn't seem to be open
source, but still a development version for free use.
One thing to learn from TimingAnalyzer is that the scripting language
for the program is the same as the program: Java. I did have some
problem to change timing from ns to us as in the digital world today
everything seem to be ns.