Re: gEDA-user: autorouter

Hello,

> Hello Peter,
> unfortunately I did not try the PCB...I had'nt the time to solve my
> Linux building problem yet.

Sorry to hear, I managed build PCB on linux. Post your problem's
details, maybe I could help.

> But your pictures remind me to a problem with a windows-based progam.
> There, the autorouter produces also result like this.
>
> So I would give you two possibilities:
> 1st. some Programs gots settings like "prefered routing direction" - you
> can make here the decision like "Layer x shall prefer vertical" - "Layer
> y shall prefer horizonal"

Is it true about gschem/PCB combo too?

> With wrong settings the results seems also like yours.
>
> 2nd experience:
> The autorouter (which I know) are programmed to solve complicated wiring
> situation.
> If you try it with a simple task, the result looks much to complicated.
> It seems like the algorithm can't "think" such easy.

Yes, I experienced such situations befor with some really professional
tools but they seem to overcome this with some sort of optimization
passes. PCB failed to optimize this route.

> Perhaps it is not vailid for your PCB, but results like yours Ive seen
> also at very "professional" and expensive programs.
> It is not really beautiful, but in my mind not a bug.

The thing is that I did not want just to complain, I have programming
experience in C and I would like to make it better. Unfortunately I have
no knowledge of possible algorithms and their optimizations. There is
very little interest in autorouter quality from what I see but I will
try to reach the author and find out what can be done.

> with best regards
> Manfred

Regards,
Peter