RE: gEDA-user: gnetlist output to stdout?

> Currently there is no way to output to stdout, but it's easy
> to add. To add such feature, each backend has to be modified.

Ah, right.  I know it would be hard work, but what about changing gnetlist so that it passes a file pointer (or the equivalent Scheme type) to the backend?  That way the backends don't need to worry about where the data's going, they can just throw it at the given file pointer.  I know nothing about Scheme, so I don't know if that's a practical suggestion.

> I have modified the drc2 backend to output to stdout if the output
> filename is "-". The changes are in CVS.

That seems sensible: it's the way most of the GNU toolchain seems to handle it.

> Which backend are you using?

I've written quite a complicated Python script that takes the output of the redac and bom backends, renames all the components with a heirachical refdes to the toplevel (because having an 0402 capacitor with a refdes like "D1/A4/C3" is impractical for the silkscreen) and creates a new Racal Redac netlist & an Orcad-style BOM.

If I could just read the output of gnetlist straight into a variable, it would be useful.  As it is, I'm having to mess about with temporary files. :-(

Peter