Re: gEDA-user: Please submit comments and bug reports for install

Hi Manfred --

Thanks for the problem report!

> Hello Stuard,
> I want to report some Problems:
> Using the actual version of the Install-CD I'm unable to build the
> gnucap and the PCB-Part.

I'll bet that you have a new version of gcc.  The newest versions of
gcc don't successfully compile GnuCap -- it's a GnuCap bug:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnucap/2004-10/msg00001.html

I will bundle the newest GnuCap into the next rev of the CD, so I hope
that this problem is solved.

As for PCB -- you seem to have Peter's problem:  You tried to re-install
PCB over a pre-installed version.  When you do this, the part that
builds the documenation dies because it needs a build tool which you
don't have.  I submitted a patch to the PCB developers to fix this,
but I don't think they took the patch.  I'll try again.

Of course, if you never had PCB on your machine before, this bug is
something else.  Did you re-install PCB to get this error?

> First I thougt, that it is the Linux version, but after re-intsall the
> complete Suse 9.0 Professional with all Librarys I would think which
> will need, the problem still exists.
> Peter told me, that he know the problem too.
> Perhaps you could have a look into it?

Peter had the same problem with PCB -- it dies when trying to build
documentation over old documentation.  Or did you get this problem on
a virgin install?

> And perhaps you could give me an hint, how I couls solve the problem for
> the time beeing?
> Peter told me, that I can build the two parts manually, but I don'nt
> know which code I have to type...

Here's an approximation:

cd
mkdir pcb-source
cd pcb-source
cp /mnt/cdrom/pcb/pcb-20041023-sdb.tar.gz .
tar -zxvf pcb-20041023-sdb.tar.gz
cd pcb-20041023-sdb
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/wherever/you/put/geda/stuff
make
make install

You may need to horse around a little in case your directories are
differently laid out, but this is close.  Good luck!

Stuart