gEDA-user: I do not understand: What is the meaning of the attribute "pinseq"

Hello,
excuse if I ask the next fool question, but I do not understand the manual:

the value pinnumber is the real pin-number of the footprint (in pcb)?
but for what reason do I need a value "pinseq"?
I've got too the "pinname" to explain which pin (like "A0" it is...

Please, is somebody so kind and tell me in simple words, what the meaning of "pinseq" is and why I shall need this?

Thank you!
Manfred