Re: gEDA-user: PCB Gtk port

On Feb 27, 2005, at 8:10 PM, Daniel Nilsson wrote:
	I'm very curious to know if the integration into the existing
code base will coexist with the Xaw GUI or if they are mutually
exclusive?

I sure hope it will coexist. I've been working on this non-stop since Bill's original mail went out, as I was quite excited about it. I've jumped through unbelievable hoops but can't get GTK+ v2.6.2 build under Solaris9 on UltraSPARC. Making it *require* GTK+ will effectively make it a Linux-only program.

I've built GTK+ on Solaris 8 / SPARC, it does work but will require some thought since the Solaris Xserver doesn't support the same set of extensions that the Xfree86 server does (Xrender). So you typically run into trouble building freetype and related stuff though. If this is your problem let me know and I can help, the Xrender stuff can be added to Solaris so that add the GTK+ deps can be built.

I'm past the freetype/Xrender stuff, they seem to be fine...I've extracted Xft and Xrender from the XFree86 v4.4 source tree and gotten them compiled and installed. I had to do a bit of hacking on some of the pkg-config data files also. I've also (just a moment ago) gotten past the slightly broken Xlibint.h header file, and now the GTK+ build is bombing with a libtool issue. I'm tracking that down now.

I wonder if the autoconf system (not for PCB, but in general) could be reworked to make the use of libtool optional. It's a nice idea in theory, but in practice libtool seems to introduce more portability problems than it solves.

Anyway, I will let you know what happens when I beat this latest issue into submission.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "I've watched Harley people throw up
Cape Coral, FL                      on the ceiling."    -Krissi