Re: gEDA-user: PCB Gtk port

On Monday 28 February 2005 8:41 pm, Dave McGuire wrote:
endering for granted (Thanks to XFT).

>    Well...Linux users, not Linux/*NIX users.

Yes, UNIX as well as Linux. Any UNIX, any *NIX like system and Linux.
XFT has no configuration mechanism itself, but relies on the fontconfig
library to configure and customize fonts. The XFT library is not specific to
XFree86 or indeed, any particular font output mechanism.

Examples of various UNIX running XFT include:

1.) NetBSD (And therefore, by default, any Apple machine running OSX)

Reference:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2002/12/29/0000.html

2.) FreeBSD

Reference:

http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=282

3.) IBM AIX

Reference:

http://gnome.bullfreeware.com/index_gnome260.html

4.) SUN Solaris

Reference:

http://www.fetterconsulting.com/index.php?name=solarisrpm

That library is not specific to XFree86 or indeed on any particular font
output mechanism.

>    My current-model SunRay clients running current software on the
> current release of the OS is "1988"?  Umm no, I don't think so.  "Not
> Linux" does not mean "Not Current".

I never said anything about SunRay clients or any other OS. I don't know what
your talking about. I was talking about the application gtk-pcb only. Also,
because of the way XFT works, a system could have gtk-pcb installed and
utilizing XFT and no other app even knows of its exitance because it is
implimented as a library (That is, XFT). APS that do not have hooks into
the library won't use it.

>    Yet further...By its very definition an X11 "extension" is  optional.
>   You are suggesting that it is somehow acceptable to require an
> optional extension to the X server just to run this application.  That
> is nothing short of absurd.  It is possible to write this functionality
> in a portable way, and not sacrifice ANYTHING.

If this is really what you think, I'll sight (With references - Do a quick
google and you'll see ) libs that are perported to be extensions in SunRay
clients that if removed will break the app. Just because it's java means
nothing.

The

>    The fact that you would willingly sacrifice portability (one of the
> original goals of the program we're discussing) for such fluff as
> ANTIALIASED FONTS IN PULL-DOWN MENUS is quite disturbing and frankly
> has no place here.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am. But, *telling* me that my opinion
has no place here because I don't agree with you won't do at all. In fact, it
is rude.

> That's aside from the fact that they can be
> implemented JUST FINE in a portable way with no sacrifice whatsoever.
> Modern fonts are not the problem...as I've said repeatedly, the problem
> is not with Freetype, but with the mechanism Pango uses to get the
> Freetype-generated glyphs into the widgets.  Are you missing that
> point?

With things the way the are right now, many all popular libraries including
GTK  (And now the new GUI to PCB) use supporting libs you don't like for
whatever reason. Personally, I am happy that Bill took the time out of his
life to write and donate this code. I have used it, I like it, I appreciate
Bill's hard work and further, these are opinions that are not going to
change. If you don't like it, write an alternative, but there is no need to
get upset about it and flame me (Or anyone else).

Regards

Marvin Dickens