Re: gEDA-user: PCB Gtk port

> >   I think the situation would be much better if GTK+ were able to be
> > built either with or without Pang/XFT/Xrender/etc, and just use X's
> > regular font system.

Thing is, rendering modern fonts poses unique problems and is a fairly
specialized area of programming. It's as much of an art as it is a science.
Poorly written font engines display jagged, fuzzy and otherwise bad
representations of glyphs. Years ago, in the pre XFT days, your typical
X desktop in Linux looked like sh!t. Now, Linux/*NIX users take good font
rendering for granted (Thanks to XFT).

>> That would cut the number of dependencies down to
> > something manageable, and it would restore portability.

IMHO, This is not a portability issue. But, even if you look at it this way,
portability at the cost of making the app look like and feel like it was
developed and written for a system in 1988 is a poor trade off for 99.8 % of
the user base of PCB.

Best regards

Marvin Dickens