Re: gEDA-user: PCB Gtk port

On Feb 28, 2005, at 9:25 PM, Daniel Nilsson wrote:
So I knew that building GTK+ 2.6 on Solaris is a bit of a hazzle due
to the Xrender stuff, that's why I wanted to point you to the
libraries yesterday that I used to make it work. I have GTK+ 2.6
running under Solaris 8 / SPARC, it does not require the XRENDER
extension on the Xserver.

Hold on...If this is true, then I may be able to get around my biggest issue. I ran smack into this:

Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display ":2.0".

This happens with anything linked against those libraries. If you know of a way to build (or run) that stuff in such a way that it will operate without that extension, well, I'll have a much happier time with all of this.

 I know how you feel though, I thought too
that starting with GTK+ 2.something that you were out of luck unless
you had XRENDER on the Xserver. But after reading up on it I found
those libraries from Keith that made it all work, they did pay
attention to make sure that users on Sun/AIX/Tru64 etc etc shouldn't
be unable to use apps requiring GTK+ 2.6.

Ok...I will take your word on this and I will research this further tonight. I truly hope that this is correct for Solaris9 as well.

I don't understand how your build of GTK+ 2.6 could break the (SUN
supplied ?) gnome-terminal ? You didn't overwrite the system wide GTK+
libraries in /usr did you ?

Nope, that's the confusing part...it's all installed in /usr/local/lib, and crle reports /usr/lib before /usr/local/lib in the shared library search path. I can find no explanation as to why some other executables are pulling shared libs from /usr/local/lib first...I will have to research that some more. Weird!

To prove that the whole thing I just built GTK-PCB on Solaris 8 and
took it for a spin. The GUI comes up and looks good, but the
application dumps core when trying to load a file. This is since
gui_output_set_name_label receives a null pointer from LoadPCB in
file.c:215. It's downhill from there until it finally blows up in
strlen in libc.

Well that's a lot farther than I've gotten. I will look for the stuff that you referred to above. I will send you some virtual uuencoded beer if I get this working. And I'll owe Marvin a big hug for the verbal hand grenades I've been throwing at him all night.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "I've watched Harley people throw up
Cape Coral, FL                      on the ceiling."    -Krissi