Re: gEDA-user: PCB Gtk port

On Feb 28, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Mario Klebsch wrote:
I've built GTK+ on Solaris 8 / SPARC, it does work but will require
some thought since the Solaris Xserver doesn't support the same set of
extensions that the Xfree86 server does (Xrender). So you typically
run into trouble building freetype and related stuff though.

I must admit, that I do no tunderstand, why a basic GUI toolkit is required to be able to to TrueType and Type1 font processing. We are not building a word processor.

Yes, it is ridiculous for GTK+ to *require* fancy font-handling techniques for applications that do not require them. Doing TrueType fonts and antialiasing for menu choice is just plain excessive.

  Especially when it means the application will only run under Linux.

I think the situation would be much better if GTK+ were able to be built either with or without Pang/XFT/Xrender/etc, and just use X's regular font system. That would cut the number of dependencies down to something manageable, and it would restore portability.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "I've watched Harley people throw up
Cape Coral, FL                      on the ceiling."    -Krissi