Re: gEDA-user: Erroneous error message in gnucap

On Thursday 02 February 2006 04:20, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> gnucap> build
>
> >E 1 2 3 4
>
> E 1 2 3 4
>         ^ ? need 1 more nodes
>         >
>
> The thing what is missing is not a node, but value. The
> message should be something like "need a value" or "need
> voltage gain". Voltage gain is definitely not a node.

Thanks for the report.  I will look into it.

I believe this one started with the transition to named nodes.
It has to do with parsing a subcircuit call, which has a
variable number of nodes and always has a "value" which is the
name of the .subckt to call.  Without punctuation, it takes the
last one as the subckt to call.  The same parsing function is
used regardless of the kind of device.

I recommend to enclose the connection list in parentheses.  The
named parameter list ideally also should be in parentheses.
This will avoid any confusion of which names are interpreted as
nodes, model names, or parameters.

Check this one ....

X1 a b c d e f g h i j

What does it mean?

Obviously (?), a,b,c are nodes.  d is the model name.  e,g,i are
model parameters.  f,h,j are parameterized values, either
passed in or defined by .param.

X1 (a b c) d (e=f g=h i=j)
clarifies it.

It will be a good thing when we can move on, and put the spice
format behind.  Verilog-A support really will happen.