gEDA-user: different footprints for a symbol

Hi,
what is the recommended way to deal with different footprints for the
same sort of device? e.g. an opamp may be DIP8 or SO8. A resistor may be
0603, 0805, 1208, or with wires.
In protel there is a list of possible footprints that is associated with
every symbol. That way you only have to choose between a few preselected
footprints instead of the whole library.

Any hints?
         ---<(kaimartin)>---

PS: You will see this protel argument more often from me, as I used to
work with this EDA...

--
Kai-Martin Knaak
kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx