Re: gEDA-user: CY7C1041B symbol

> How's it look?
>
> http://www.delorie.com/pcb/cy7c1041b.html

Looks great!

> Thinking about licenses for symbols and footprints...
>
> There are really two sets of "terms" a symbol needs.  First, terms for
> redistributing the symbol itself.  I see no reason why the GPL
> wouldn't be OK for this; it would apply to gEDA distros or anyone
> compiling a symbol library, or people offering downloads of symbols
> used in their projects.  I suppose it would apply to people publishing
> their schematics or PCB files, since symbols and footprints are easily
> extracted from those.
>
> Second, terms for using the symbol.  I.e. if you end up producing a
> board which used your symbol/footprint, what are the terms for
> distributing the board itself?
>
> If we can agree on some quanta for licenses, perhaps we could specify
> a license attribute for them?  Like
>
> Symbols:
> T ...
> use_license=no-fee
> T ...
> dist_license=GPL
>
> Footprints:
> # use_license=no-fee
> # dist_license=GPL

Are you suggesting putting licence attribs onto symbols and comments
into PCB netlib footprints?  If so, that's fine with me, and is indeed
a good idea.

As for PCB's treatment of comments, does PCB forward comments
embedded in the newlib footprint in the .pcb file?  The last time I
looked it didn't.  Maintining & forwarding comments is a desirable
feature, and would facilitate the propagation of your idea.

Stuart