Re: gEDA-user: noise analysis in ngspice?

On Feb 21, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Ron Crummett wrote:

Hi -

We are learning noise analysis in my communications circuits class right now. My instructor does simulations with WinSpice, but I try using ngspice to do them as well. Up until now it's worked great, but noise analysis does not. When I try to run a netlist that includes noise analysis parameters in WinSpice it works fine, but in ngspice I get errors, telling me "Noise input source Vac not found in circuit" and then aborts the noise simulation. I have attached my netlist here for observation; what do I need to change? Thanks.

-Ron Crummett
HW5_1.cir - EE 513, Assignment 5, Problem 1

.control
destroy all
op
noise v(2) Vac dec 20 10 10meg
^
ngspice normally converts names to lower case, but apparently forgets to do so here, so your circuit has a source vac but noise looks for Vac. A bug, but just use lower case and you'll have no trouble. I don't know if anyone's paying attention to ngspice bug reports these days. Fortunately, bugs are few (fewer than I encountered in PSpice some years ago).

.endc

*circuit
Vac 1 0 ac 1
R1 1 2 100k