Re: gEDA-user: PCB & Gschem

Karel Kulhavy wrote:
On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 04:38:24PM -0500, Dan McMahill wrote:

Marc Price wrote:

Im not reading Bill Wilsons Tutorial I Dont Want to be influenced by it im Writting my own

I am looking to Work this out in a few easy steps

firstly why am i getting all these footprint errors.

Marc :)

so rather than read a very useful tutorial which among other things answers your questions, you'd rather ask a mailing list?

Reading the tutorial and documentations, FAQs and Wiki takes very long
time (Days? Weeks?). For example I am unable to concentrate long enough
to be able to read all the doc. Tutorial is not enough because doesn't
cover such basic things as making your own symbols and footprint. These
are needed very frequently considering how little is shipped together
with gEDA.

Bills tutorial is short and does not take long at all. Surely you're not suggesting it takes weeks to read a 20 page tutorial.

I hate to say RTFM, but....

Saying RTFM doesn't achieve anything. If you don't want to be bothered
by questions like this again and again, put the answer to the place the
question is born in user's mind. In this case put an URL to the gsch2pcb
error message.
"symbol xxx doesn't have footprint attribute" -> "You must supply footprint= attribute to symbol xxx. http://blah.blah.blah describes how."

The problem is Marc asked some basic questions and was pointed to Bill Wilsons tutorial which would answer many of them quickly. His response is "I don't want to read that, I'm going to write my own". What good are tutorials or quick start guides if no one will read them. It's fine when someone asks and is refered to a particular document. Whats rather rude is when that person refuses to read that and insists on having the same content repeated in emails.

-Dan