Re: gEDA-user: Drawing a schematic with a single-inline resistornetwork

> it to compile. I installed libgeda locally in /usr/local/lib using
> ./configure, make, make install, but gschem still complains that it

Check out the whole gaf tree.  Run "make" and follow the directions,
then "make install".  It all works together very nicely.  There's a
couple of environment variables you have to set.

> That much I know. :-) If I want custom footprints I'll be sure to
> make 'em.  I just wish I could figure out how the heck I can tell
> how big in "mils" a component is.

Read the data sheet.  I also re-check them with calipers when I get
the parts, and position them on a print of the board to verify the
footprint.

> I don't know where to find sizes of components (data sheet?),

Yes.

> and I also (forgive my stupidity) have no idea what a "mil" is. I
> certainly know what a millimeter is, but what on earth is a "mil"?

A mil is a milli-inch, or 0.001".  Also called a "thou".