gEDA-user: Re: Icarus Verilog: Need for --enable-vvp32 in x86_64 ./configure call?

Günter Dannoritzer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I compiled the recent snapshot on my openSuse 10.2 x86_64 system and
> recognized that by default, when running ./configure, it does not
> compile with vvp32 support.
>
> When I analyzed the verilog.spec file from the latest snapshot rpm, then
> it calls ./configure with the --enable-vvp32 flag.

Yes, when building for 64bit systems.

> My question is now, what is the vvp32 used for on the x86_64 platform?
> Is it really needed for the rpm?

It's not needed in the sense that you can use Icarus Verilog on a 64bit
system without it. The --enable-vvp32 enables the generation of an
additional 32bit version of vvp. When you do that, /usr/bin/vvp is 64bit
still, but it also builds a /usr/bin/vvp32 that is 32bit.

This is for users who have a 32bit .vpi module from a 3'rd party. They
cannot use it with the 64bit vvp, but vvp32 will be able to load it
just fine. That's the *only* reason for vvp32.

> I am trying to build a rpm from the current Icarus Verilog snapshot. I
> know that there exists one for the stable version and that for the
> development snapshots there exists a x86_64 version on the icarus.com
> ftp server.
>
> The reasons I still want to build one is for one I would like to run the
> builds with the opensuse build system. In fact I was able to run the
> i586 version successful for (open)Suse 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2.

I recommend fixing the exising verilog.spec file if you are having
trouble with it, and by all means send patches.

>   http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/dannori/
>
> The other reason to do it is that I want to add a cosimulation .vpi for
> myhdl to the rpm package. This will allow to run cosimulation with myhdl
> and Icarus by just installing the two respective rpms.

To add an add-on like a vpi package, you don't need to rebuild
the Icarus Verilog package! Just have the myhdl rpm drop the .vpi
in the right directory at install time. How does that affect Icarus
Verilog packaging?

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,