gEDA-user: Re: Icarus Verilog: Need for --enable-vvp32 in x86_64 ./configure call?

Günter Dannoritzer wrote:
> Stephen Williams wrote:
>> To add an add-on like a vpi package, you don't need to rebuild
>> the Icarus Verilog package! Just have the myhdl rpm drop the .vpi
>> in the right directory at install time. How does that affect Icarus
>> Verilog packaging?
>>

> Yes, I undestand that. I was thinking about just adding it to the proper
> Icarus folder, as part of the myhdl package. What made me think about
> doing it the other way is that if someone does not install Icarus, that
> folder does not need to exist. So adding it to Icarus out of the Icarus
> rpm package everything will work fine when installed in connection with
> the myhdl package. If somebody decides for some reason to install Icarus
> from source, the .vpi installation would need to be done by hand.

The way you handle that is to create a sub-package that depends on
Icarus Verilog. Users can install your main package without requiring
Icarus Verilog, but if they install the icarus verilog interface, they
will naturally require the Icarus Verilog package.

You only need one myhdl.spec file that creates multiple packages. It's
a fairly common thing to do.

> Concerning the packaging, I am not sure how I will do that. I am not
> that experienced with the creation of spec files yet. I would like to
> have it that I can put the Icarus source and the vpi source in a folder
> and the spec file will do the proper steps to compile both and then add
> the vpi file to the correct folder. That way I can just replace the
> Icarus source by future releases and run the build process again.
>
> My first goal will be to adjust the spec file so that the Icarus source
> will build correct by itself for the 64 bit platform.

Werner Hoch is already using the OPensuse system to build the stable
releases of Icarus Verilog (0.8 branch).

<http://iverilog.wikia.com/wiki/Installation_Guide#SuSE_Linux.2FopenSUSE>

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,