Re: gEDA-user: Re: Icarus Verilog: Need for --enable-vvp32 in x86_64 ./configure call?

Stephen Williams wrote:
> Günter Dannoritzer wrote:
[...]
> This is for users who have a 32bit .vpi module from a 3'rd party. They
> cannot use it with the 64bit vvp, but vvp32 will be able to load it
> just fine. That's the *only* reason for vvp32.

OK, I understand, so for a rpm package that would be good to have.

[...]
> I recommend fixing the exising verilog.spec file if you are having
> trouble with it, and by all means send patches.

OK, I will do that.

[...]
>> The other reason to do it is that I want to add a cosimulation .vpi for
>> myhdl to the rpm package. This will allow to run cosimulation with myhdl
>> and Icarus by just installing the two respective rpms.
>
> To add an add-on like a vpi package, you don't need to rebuild
> the Icarus Verilog package! Just have the myhdl rpm drop the .vpi
> in the right directory at install time. How does that affect Icarus
> Verilog packaging?

Yes, I undestand that. I was thinking about just adding it to the proper
Icarus folder, as part of the myhdl package. What made me think about
doing it the other way is that if someone does not install Icarus, that
folder does not need to exist. So adding it to Icarus out of the Icarus
rpm package everything will work fine when installed in connection with
the myhdl package. If somebody decides for some reason to install Icarus
from source, the .vpi installation would need to be done by hand.

Concerning the packaging, I am not sure how I will do that. I am not
that experienced with the creation of spec files yet. I would like to
have it that I can put the Icarus source and the vpi source in a folder
and the spec file will do the proper steps to compile both and then add
the vpi file to the correct folder. That way I can just replace the
Icarus source by future releases and run the build process again.

My first goal will be to adjust the spec file so that the Icarus source
will build correct by itself for the 64 bit platform.

Guenter