gEDA-user: hidden gui "state" in PCB (gtk-hid)?

When using the gtk-hid for PCB, I see some strange behaviors every now
and then.  For example, usually when I press "z", it usually zooms.
However, sometimes it gives me the message "click on focus for zoom"
or something like that, forcing me to either click, or to press "z"
for a second time.  It will be in this alternate mode for a while, and
then will go back without warning.

Another example -- sometimes when dragging parts, the rat lines are
shown rubberbanding with the part.  Sometimes they don't.

Any ideas?  I am using CVS as of 2 days ago.

Matt